Resources for Seniors in Need
Local nonprofits and other social service organizations offer help for families dealing with age-related issues. (Click here for a printer-friendly version.)
Dial 211 | www.211texas.org
- Free, anonymous social service hotline available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, state-wide.
- Search available resources in your community for food, housing, crisis counseling, substance abuse treatment.
Adult Protective Services
1-800-272-3900 | www.dfps.state.tx.us/
- Elder abuse prevention resources.
- Report abuse, neglect or exploitation.
AGE of Central Texas
512-451-4611 | www.ageofcentraltx.org
- Caregiver Resource Center – offering information, material, and consultation.
- Caregiver U. – educational classes for caregivers offered in Georgetown.
- Early memory loss program.
- Adult Day Health Centers in Travis and Williamson counties.
Aging and Disability Resource Center
1-888-622-9111 or 512-916-6062 | www.aaacap.org
- Help with understanding options and connecting with needed services and support.
512-241-0420 | www.txalz.org
- 24/7 helpline.
- Education and training.
- Care consultations.
- Support groups.
Bluebonnet Trails Community Services
512-869-2650 | www.bbtrails.org
- Community and mental health resources for Central Texas residents.
Capital Area Agency on Aging
512-916-6062 | http://www.capcog.org/divisions/area-agency-on-aging
- Plans, develops and provides a coordinated system of services designed to promote independence for persons 60 years of age and older.
- Services include benefits counseling, caregiver support, care coordination, health and wellness, information, referral and assistance and medication screening.
The Caring Place
512-943-0700 | www.caringplacetx.org
- Emergency financial assistance.
- Temporary shelter and transportation.
- Meal assistance programs.
Elder Care Locator
800-677-1116 | www.eldercare.gov
- Nationwide online service.
- Connects elders and their caregivers with trustworthy local support services.
- Public service of Administration on Aging.
Faith in Action Georgetown
512-868-9544 | www.faithinactiongt.org
- Free transportation for medical, dental, and personal care appointments, and grocery shopping (cannot transport wheelchairs).
- Handyman services.
- Care calling/home visits.
- Medical equipment closet.
- Community education. (A Matter of Balance fall prevention)
512-450-0844 | www.familyeldercare.org
- In-home care.
- Caregiver support.
- In-home counseling.
- Service coordination.
- Money management.
Lone Star Circle of Care
1-877-800-5722 | www.lscctx.org
- Medical services located in Georgetown.
- Dedicated senior care clinics.
- Accepts all patients regardless of insurance status or income.
- Low cost, high quality dental clinic in Georgetown. Call direct at 512-864-1445.
Meals on Wheels / Opportunities for Williamson & Burnet Counties
512-763-1400 | www.opportunitiesforwbc.org
- Hot, home delivered meals five days a week.
- Congregate meals program at senior centers.
- Utility assistance.
Sun City Helping Hands
Here is who to contact if you want to borrow something:
For items kept at the Legacy Hills Storage area, contact:
John Viers (512) 639-0262 *He prefers a call/text rather than an email
Kathy Davis (907) 351-8872
Cle Alexander (316) 990-4245
Shirley Worth (N30) (512)943-4110 Shirley keeps some medical equipment and baby items at her home and you can borrow from there.
Here are some things to consider:
- Don't wait till your guests arrive or you are bringing your patient home from the hospital to arrange for equipment. You want it at the house and ready to go.
- You don't have to reserve items, but it may be best to call and make sure they have the item you need available to borrow. You can reserve an item a bit ahead of time, but pick it up a couple of days before you need it.
- They are working on a list of items at Legacy and Shirley's home, but it is not available yet.
- The items are sanitized when returned...someone donated funds to purchase a sanitizer.
- See the Support Groups page in each month of Sun Rays magazine.
Texas Health and Human Services
1-855-937-2372 | https://hhs.texas.gov/services/aging
- Access to services facilitating independent living.
- Help understanding state and federal benefits and legal rights.
- Services for caregivers.
- Assistance in qualifying for assisted-living facility care, daytime programs or nursing home services.
- Guidance for long-term care services.